Saturday, April 24, 2010

World class trash

Here is a press release I just came across. It is about an American college adopting a certain code of ethics. Nothing great about the press release or the event. I just skimmed through it remembering the days of my Public Relations job and realized what a vapid piece of unimportant information released to the world in this pompous official manner because it is important to somebody's boss.

It gave me immense satisfaction to know:
a. that I was not alone in being forced to produce similar kind of trash in my PR job.
b. And that I produced world class trash. Most of my press releases read better than this if not as dull.

I can only feel a sense of wonder at the kind of bubble many bosses in the Public Relations business live in. Why would the media be interested in this trashy little in-house development at just one of the 500 institutions in the country and why would the leading papers print this ambitious whimper on their front page?

Reminds me of the brilliant combination of my ex boss and his favorite. Both sat together to figure out for months on end that why the City Pages in Karachi were constantly ignoring the press releases about their activities in Okara. Needless to say my PR writing skills were being targeted as the major culprit, until I stumbled upon the discussion by chance and impetuously pointed out the misplacement of the press release. Wonder why I could never become the boss's favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment